Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pottery Barn LOOK-A-LIKE Desk

This desk was a challenge, but the results PAID OFF$$$$

We started with a white French Provincial piece that several people saw promise in. Initially, the plan was to paint the piece a bright Easter color, but as we sanded it down we realized all the layers (& layers, & layers....) of paint.  It just kept peeling off! We knew we didn't want to invest the time it would take to strip it all off, so we took this project in another direction.

We painted the piece with a soft cocoa tinted primer, then covered it with a dark chocolate paint.  We distressed it so to mask the layered paints underneath.  Last, we protected it with a couple coats of polyurethane and finished it up with pretty vintage shelving paper.  

I wish it were still around so you could drop by and take a look at it, but it sold before I could get this post up.  (Red Rock Rose Boutique still has many of my pieces.)
Drab-to-Fab strikes AGAIN!!!!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

project of the week – Antique Dresser all GLAMMED UP!

This antique dresser needed a face lift and and a little TLC.

A good sanding always starts the project.

  All it took was a little elbow grease and patience.

I dressed it up with a couple coats of silver paint and accessorized with glass knobs - Voila, it's ready for a Great Weekend!!


It's still available at Red Rock Rose

Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Project of the Week - My First SPRING FLOWER!!

           This FABULOUS plant stand (in it's final glory), originally came in like this mismatched mutt of a piece.  Yuch!

After thinking about it overnight, I decided this plant stand had a base with promise.  It could be interpreted as a stem and leaves (...imagine, if you will) and the top could be painted to look like a flower??  A mum perhaps!First, lots and lots of sanding - then we BEGIN.

I started with a light pink all over, then strokes of darker pink with yellow and green over each other in the middle.  After drying I began to draw petals with chalk, until the entire surface was covered.

I blew the chalk dust away and took a clear spray paint to seal it.
Once that dried, I took a white acrylic paint in a squeeze bottle and went over the petals.  Then,  I went over the top with 2 coats of high gloss polyurethane.  What do you think of my first SPRING FLOWER!!
It's still available at Red Rock Rose Boutique.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

FRENCH PROVINCIAL DRESSER - Friday Project of the Week


I went by my favorite boutique this week, Red Rock Rose.  They asked for some suggestions on a cute piece that needed a little TLC.This project turned out so terrific - this beautiful dresser was sold before the paint dried! 
This dresser had mis-matched hardware which left indentions in the wood.  Knowing how difficult this piece would have been to completely restore, I just added some bronzy stencilling to cover up the marked wood and touched up some nicks.
I replaced all the hardware with something they had on hand and this dresser had a fab facelift in a couple of hours.

Always love to visit their sweet Boutique!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...